The Johnson Ranch and Rasmussen Mastiffs

Welcome to our Ranch! Nothing much to do around here but feed animals and scoop stuff if you know what I mean!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

A little off the toenails please...

Rick the farrier was here for the first time this spring.  Everyone is still dirty, snarly, and scraggly looking from the winter but hey, we are getting there. I'm sure I probably look the same way!  ha ha....  So everybody got shortened an inch or so including Charlie who really can't afford to lose any height.  :-)
Charlie
Everybody actually stood pretty good today.  Usually the crowd is pretty wild their first day with the farrier so I'm sure Rick appreciated everybody being a little laid back.  Even the 2 year old Max was pretty calm.  Max's full name is Maximus Pain.  I thought it was fitting.  :-)  If you've ever ridden a two year old, you would understand.   Max is headed to the trainer in June.  Kenny Noll from Royal Iowa will be riding him.  Kenny did a fantastic job breaking in Rev.  I'm sure he'll to a great job on Max as well.  Max is the last foal born on my place so I suppose I'll have to keep him. 
Lucy and Max
Here you can see Max and Lucy both left me a pile of love.  :-)  It means they love you when they poop in the barn doesn't it?  Well, that's what I'm going to believe anyway.  Rev hasn't lost any weight over the winter.  He's looking rather tankish...  He's not getting any shorter either.  I prefer my stubby legged Lucy.  That way I have less distance to go before I hit the ground.  ha ha.
Rev
Everybody got their shots and got their spring worming, hooves are all cleaned up, now I guess I need to break out the saddle and then see if I can break an arm this summer.  I'm due.  I haven't been bucked off for probably 5 or 6 years now so I guess I'm saving up for a good one.  I don't bounce like I did when I was young.  That's for sure.  Now when I hit the ground I just make a groaning, cracking sound..  ha ha!  Must be I'm old. 

Gotta run!  It's 7:30 p.m.  Only 1 hour til bed.  :-)  God that's so pathetic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment